The traditional model of relations between universities and their social environment is undergoing a period of deep and positive transformations. The pattern of “University Extension” -which historically modeled the way in which academic institutions relate with social, politics and economic problems in their region- is being changed by a more active commitment of the higher education centers. This means linking processes related to education and culture, development of local centers and communication based on technological progress, democratizing the information and the access to knowledge.
This new model of university proposes a dialogue between the academic structure and the management structure, since each of them offers relevant aspects for a high-quality education proposal.
UNAJ’s academic structure has four schools: Initial Studies, Engineering and Agronomy, Health Sciences, Social Sciences and Management.
The former is oriented towards the first cycle of students at university; the others group a set of careers chosen according to the demands of professional training in the local territory and the working opportunities.
For 2016, the academic offer will consist in 22 careers:
- Petroleum Engineering
- Bioengineering (Associate degreee: Bioengineer Assistant)
- IT Engineering (Associate degree: Analyst Programmer)
- Industrial Engineering (Associate degree: Industrial Assistant)
- Electromechanical Engineering (Associate degree: Electromechanical Assistant)
- Intensive Vegetable Production
- Agrocultural and Agro-livestock Business
- Agronomy Sciences
- Transportation Engineering
- Oil and Complex Systems
- Biochemistry (Associate degree: Clinical Laboratory Technician)
- Nursing (Associate degree: Registered nurse)
- Surgical Assistance (Associate degree: Surgical Instrument Assistant)
- Kinesiology and Physiatry
- Sanitary Emergencies and Disasters
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Clinical Information and Patient Management
- Maternal and Child Health
- Socio-Cultural Dimensions and Communication of Health
- Policies and Management of Health Service Networks
- Transmissible Diseases
- Community Health
- Environmental Management (Associate degree: Environmental Management Technician)
- Labour Relations (Associate degree: Labour Relations Technician)
- Social Work (Associate degree: Social Relations Technician)
- Educational and Pedagogical Inclusion in the University
- Environment and Territory Studies
- Observatory of Labor Skills
- Observatory of Social Violence
The management and supporting structure consists of:
- Secretariat for Economy and finance
- Education Policy Center
- Territory and Politics Center
- The areas that fall under the Rector´s Office: Legal matters, International matters, Communication and Institutional Press.
The management structure arises from the idea of considering the University as a “complex organization” to offer answers to its several functions, to the multidiscipline of its activities and the simultaneity of the academic offer and its inclusion in the different reality dimensions (cultural and environmental policies, etc.).
In order to achieve this, the University has strategic lines that consider cross actions complimentary to the curricular development of the careers, putting in relation the different areas and individual and collective actors that contribute to the University life.